In the past 4 weeks I have learned several lessons that I know will help me both professionally and personally. Professionally, it will help me be prepared and empathize as I work with military families on base with my MSW in the future. And personally, I have learned so much about myself and learning to accept help from friends/family. I have learned how to be there for others in the way that others have been there for me.
People often come up to me and say things like "let me know if you need anything." In my mind I say "let's see, I need everything: my husband, time, help, a listening ear, etc.." I appreciate people's concerns but I feel that it's those that actually followed through in helping me that have taught me so much. They show up randomly, talk to me on the phone, take me to dinner, help me with Melany while I work on school stuff, etc..
So what I've learned is that when I want to help someone, it involves an action on my part. This is key in showing Christ like love and service to others. You never know when you might be the answer to someone's prayers.
Because so far, it's been those people who have been there for me, despite their busy schedules that have made the difference for Melany and I. Thus, I know I have to do the same to others and not simply say that I'd like to help but, actually do it! I know I have really been blessed by those who have gone out of their way to be kind, and show me the Lord's love to me through them in these tough, exhausting times without my husband.

No comments:
Post a Comment