Earlier this year I realized that the path towards pharmacy I was pursuing was not really where I wanted to be. For a while I was confused and debated what career and education I should pursue. Sonia and I, in fasting and prayer, went to the temple. For those not of our faith I will share that the temple is a place of inspiration where we can be close to God and learn His plans for us.
During this visit to the Lord's Holy House I felt a strong and distinct feeling that I should recieve miltary language training and become a language analyst. It was a surprise to me because I had never before seriously considered joining the military in any aspect.
Despite the inspiration I had felt, the road to actually receiving my assignment was not so easy. I spoke to two recruiters who essentially said I was too old and that the language training assignments were too competitive and that I should join with the intention of taking any job.
Through the help of Sonia we found another local recruiter who admitted the difficulties involved, but still decided to work with me. Not only did I get the linguist analyst job I had been prompted about, but I am able to stay with my family until a couple of weeks before my birthday. (A couple weeks later and I would be ineligible due to my age). I leave on January 24, 2012 for 8 weeks of basic training in Lackland, Texas. I will then fly to Monterey, CA for Defense Language School.
I'm grateful to God for him guiding me and helping me through every step in this process. I'm grateful for my wife and all her support. I'm also grateful for my recruiter who looked at me and saw a potential airman rather than just a difficult case.
![]() |
| Basic training for 8 weeks: Lackland, Texas |
![]() |
| Location of Defense Language School: Monterey, CA |
| We are excited to call Monterey our home in 2012! |


3 comments:
Well that is awesome news! We have been a military family for about a year and a half so far and we really like it. There are some hard things, as there are with any job, but it presents a lot of awesome opportunities. Best of luck to you guys! Sonia, if you have any questions or just want to talk to someone who can relate, I'm here for ya!
Thank you Kari, I appreciate the love you have for Sonia. I know it won't be easy, but I know the Lord has a purpose in this and in faith we will follow his guidance.
Enoch
I just got your email tonight inviting me to view your blog. It was the first time I've seen your baby girl. She is beautiful. I am excited for the adventures that I will get to view now of your lives via email. Congrats on your recent education/job change. I will forever be grateful that you invited me to come out and be apart of your sealing. It was incredible for me to be reunited with Sonia and to learn of your getting together and what not. Take care.
Post a Comment