Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Labor of Love- Maya's Birth story

“Birth is an opportunity to transcend. To rise above what we are accustomed to, reach deeper inside ourselves than we are familiar with, and to see not only what we are truly made of, but the strength we can access in and through birth.” – Marcie Macari


 “The wisdom and compassion a woman can intuitively experience in childbirth can make her a source of healing and understanding for other women.” – Stephen Gaskin


 I was in pain for a couple of weeks before I delivered and to be honest, I was so exhausted, I was looking forward to the real labor. The random contractions were really bugging me but I've since then, I've learned how important they were to prepare my body.

 On August 26 I went to the appointment with my midwife and she informed me I was 4cm dilated and 60% effaced. I was not surprised. I also started going to see an acupuncturist who aided in naturally inducing labor because I could not be induced in the hospital due to having a C-section in the past. On the 27th I went to the hospital thinking I was going to give birth soon but my midwife sent me back home at 1 pm to labor comfortably at home. She did however inform me I might return that night to give birth. And she was right, I went back home and the contractions from that morning did not stop.

That night I went to sleep but woke up at 1am because I could not take it anymore. I told Enoch to take me to the hospital and ask the neighbors to watch Melany at our house because it was too early to wake her up. At 1:30am the contractions were so bad that I could barely walk and I felt small amounts of water drip on my legs. It was then I knew this was the real thing. I kept trying to practice breathing and staying calm but the pain was taking over. We then drove at 2 am to the hospital and got there at around 2:30am where my contractions were about 3 minutes apart. I was immediately taken to St. Luke's labor and delivery room. They asked me some questions, put the IV on and the rest seems like a blur until it was time to push.

My doula arrived at 3ish and she helped me to continue breathing, massaging my body and putting essential oils on my body. Of course, I was in utter pain and kept asking my Heavenly Father to help me endure it. My midwife, Lauren, was sitting patiently in the couch and when she saw the contractions were closer and pain more intense, informed to let her know when I wanted to push. I'm not sure when or how long I pushed, but I think it was for about an hour or less because when I felt like pushing, it seems like that's when things sped up, or down I should say. It wasn't long until I had my little Maya in my arms, funny that at exactly the time Maya's head came out, Enoch's alarm for work went off, which was exactly at 5:45am. I thought it was funny and weird that happened. I was very out of it but so happy to hold my sweet baby in my arms. We named her Maya in honor of my Mayan ancestors and Aine as that is my Mother's middle name.

Maya Aine was 7pounds 3 ounces, measured 18 inches and was 
born on Thursday August 28 at 5:45am.

Maya did not cry right away and was a little blue so some NICU nurses checked her out and said she was fine. Phew! for a second there my heart skipped a beat and I put myself in the shoes of those poor mothers who have sick or even worse, deceased children. I was so scared for our Maya and said a prayer begging God to save her. After they gave her back to me, we had skin to skin and Maya immediately breastfed. I was so shocked because I had such a difficult experience with Melany breastfeeding. I had been praying long and hard for this birth to be as natural as possible and it was. I was so surprised I was able to labor and deliver without medication. I have a renewed admiration for my body, and I see its purpose through a different lense. I also admire and respect women all over who selflessly give so much, and endure so much pain for their children.

I was excited to have Melany see her baby sister as we had been anxiously waiting for her to meet her. Melany was so happy to see Maya she couldn't stop smiling in amazement. We stayed in the hospital for one night and were able to go home the next day because Maya was in good health, did not lose much weight and breastfed well. Giving birth truly is a labor of love because I don't think anyone in their right mind would give so much if it wasn't for loving that little human being growing inside. My pregnancy, labor and delivery were not easy at all. But when I see my little Angel, somehow the pain is worth it. I am beyond grateful to God for the blessing of being a Mother once again.

 Maya has already filled our lives with so much love and pure joy!
The card I sent out to our family



The happy Dad

So exhausted and sleepy!


Maya wearing the flower I made her for her hat


Melany the Big Sister











I love my girls!


No comments: