Wednesday, April 9, 2014

All about Social Work!


NASW(National Association of Social Workers) first introduced National Professional Social Work Month in March 1963. The purpose of this introduction was to encourage public support and interest in social work as a profession. It wasn't until 1984 that the White House officially recognized March as National Professional Social Work Month.

Many think they know what social workers do. But unless you are one, it’s hard to really understand what we do.

I am a member of NASW. I’ve been doing “social work” type of jobs for about 10 years now. I’ve worked with the homeless population, children in elementary through high school, foster families and children involved with CPS, hospice, home health, the elderly, probation, psychiatrists, doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. My most memorable jobs have been working with Autistic children, families, and immigrant communities.

However, I feel more in my “niche” doing what I do now which is providing psychotherapy and other types of mental health interventions/modalities for individuals. Most are referred by our doctors who often jokingly tell to me “fix” them.

In these past 10 years, I’ve helped people move in to homes after being chronically homeless, assist young girls/boys in realizing their full potential and self-worth. I’ve assisted people from being evicted, advocated for my clients in front of judges, lawyers and/or doctors.  People have yelled, cursed, cried, had panic attacks, hallucinated, and smiled right in front of my eyes. Individuals have recounted severe traumatic experiences in my office, only to find out I was the first person they disclosed this information to. This is why I love my job! This is why I love being a social worker(minus the yelling and cursing).

 I’ve been given the blessing of being an instrument in the hands of the Lord. I try to instill hope, love, compassion, empathy, and motivation to my clients. I want them to see how important they are in the sight of God.

And there have been times for example in the earlier years that a client was so mean that I cried in the bathroom. But I learned so much: about them and myself.

 I know I still have a lot to learn and can really say this is my calling.  I know my own experiences, and trials have led me to this field. Being a social worker has helped me be a better mother, sister, friend, wife and overall a more consciences human being.



Picture with co-workers taken by MHM photographer
 
And this sums its up


No comments: