Saturday, November 12, 2011

In the spirit of thanksgiving

At church last Sunday, one of the ladies was talking about how last year, around this time she blogged about what she was thankful for. She did this every day but since I don't have the time for that, I will try my best to blog as much as possible. I know we should be thankful every day and I am, but I felt it would be neat to get in the spirit of thanksgiving and use this mode of communication to do so. I will also encourage Enoch to take some time when possible post what he is thankful for as well. 
To make things simple, I told myself I would only pick 3 things. This is really hard for me because at a very early age I felt it was important to be thankful to God, people, and to life for what has been given and not been given to me. So here are today's 3 things I am grateful for:

1. The Atonement of Jesus Christ- "Each of us will taste the bitter ashes of life, from sin and neglect to sorrow and disappointment. But the atonement of Christ can lift us up in beauty from our ashes on the wings of a sure promise of immortality and eternal life. He will thus lift us up, not only at the end of life, but in each day of our lives." 
--Bruce C. Hafen, "Beauty for Ashes: The Atonement of Jesus Christ, Liahona", Apr. 1997, 39

2. My family- "We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together.  ~Erma Bombeck


3. Humility- "Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real."-Thomas Merton


No comments: