Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Officially a stay at home Mom

“The most important of the Lord’s work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own homes” -President Harold B. Lee

"You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky."
(“To My Child,” quoted in Charles L. Wallis, ed., The Treasure Chest [1965], 54)

      When I started my job, I thought I would obtain my license to be a Clinical Social worker(LCSW) which gives me the ability to open my own private practice doing therapy and could bill insurance companies for my services. The plan was to get my LCSW and then have our second child. But of course, Heavenly Father had different plans and knew that my LCSW would have to wait.

    I started having strong impression that I needed to get pregnant but I brushed it off thinking it was just me getting excited because a lot of people I knew were expecting. It wasn't until I realized I was being stubborn, and not faithful to God that I accepted His timing and plan. Funny that I was already about 2 weeks pregnant when I ran that marathon!

    During my third trimester, I started thinking of whether I would go back to work or be a stay at home Mom. I prayed for God to give me an answer and help me accept it with joy and peace. And this is when we had several trials involving Melany and our family. These specific trials helped me make my decision and in the end I did feel joy and peace when I made my decision.

    I've been working since I was a young teenager, so staying at home was quite the adjustment. I informed my job I was not returning and although my clinical supervisor was quite surprised, everyone was very supportive.

   Being at home has helped me be more attuned to my daughters needs and to not regret missing out on life's important moments. The first two weeks were the hardest, specially with Enoch being gone to Washington DC and not being able to talk to many adults. I felt lonely and kind of out of place. I then started reading my scriptures more and setting up a schedule for Melany and our family. This helped because Enoch's work schedule is so crazy and unstable.

I'm really glad I made this decision and feel so blessed to have a husband who supports our family.
I am looking forward to seeing my Babies grow. And I'm so happy that Melany's behavior and listening skills are improving. I enjoy having our time together in Music class and teaching her to write and read. I feel blessed to have my undergrad degree in Liberal Studies/Elementary Education because I get to use it with my kids.

I don't know when I will return to the workforce but, for now I am happy being a stay at home Mother.



At my 8 week postpartum visit with my Midwife Lauren 











2 comments:

Silvia said...

Your girls are so cute Sonia, how many kids do you want to have eventually?

Kirsten Treff said...

Congrats! It's an adjustment for sure, but you'll find a new normal :) And it's nice to have such a flexible job - especially with a husband with a crazy schedule!