Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Big Sur 10k Race


"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Saturday was my long awaited 10k race at Big Sur. We woke up pretty early because we had to drive one hour to get to Pfeiffer Big Sur state park. I had oatmeal and sips of orange juice for breakfast on our way there.  Boy was that a BAD idea! I got really queasy because of all the sharp turns on the road and although I didn't feel that bad once we got to Big Sur, I feel it did affect my running a little. I felt strong in the beginning and started to feel very nauseous as I neared the second mile. 
But I remembered how hard I had worked to get to this place so I coached myself into finishing strong. All in all, it was a challenging, fulfilling, emotional and amazing experience. I did something I thought I would never be able to do. It made me realize the power of the human body and the brain.  And more importantly, it made me grateful to Heavenly Father for giving me the strength and willpower to achieve this goal. 
So what’s next? A half marathon,  and eventually a full  marathon!! 

P.S- I love that I am killing two birds with one stone with these goals.  I have been able to be healthy and in shape. Woo hoo!









No comments: